Examples of persuasive writing from your posts Tuesday – for inspiration! Note: reviews work only if they argue, in their closing, that “x” is the best and deserves your money. General review articles are not persuasive, they are analytical.
- 10 Ways To Overcome Blogging Procrastination
- 14 foods that could change a diabetics life
- 19 Reasons Why You Should Blog And Not Just Tweet
- Anti-Smoking Essay
- “BCS Needs to Ignore the Idiots Dogging on Boise State
Steve Kelley … spends virtually the entire first half of the article by mainly reporting information. Once a chunk of information is given, he makes a one line comment that suggests how he feels about the content.
- A Breath of Sane Air
Andrew Sullivan … counteract[s] the Pentagon’s DADT report using stories from gay and lesbian soldiers that have fought in recent wars, in effect putting the political debate in context by humanizing the soldiers’ real wartime experiences.
- Christian Dior Mascara
I bought this mascara because I had tried blackout and iconic, but Diorshow is where its at, by far my favorite of the 3. This article captures it beautifully.
- Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
This letter was written as an open letter to Kansas School Board in response to their efforts to teach Intelligent Design to The author proposes adding the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to the curriculum if all theories of life on earth are to be included in lecture. Funny, yet wonderful.
- Do Tweets Change Your behavior? (bad headline!)
- Dreaming of Immigration Reform
My favorite persuasive writing starts at The New York Times
- A Modest Proposal, by Jonathan Swift
- Privatizing Social Security: Still a Dumb Idea
- Sample Persuasive Essay (pdf)
- Speech: GWB post 9-11
- Speech: Obama on Recovery Act
- What’s So Bad About the Mankini?, on Gawker
- Where Anonymity Breeds Contempt
This is an op-ed from The New York Times …It hit on all the key elements of a good persuasive post and was extremely well-written. Zhuo included links to psychological research as back-up and told a heartwrenching story about how trolls have infiltrated memorial sites. Her call to action was also clear and concise.
- Why We Should Not Legalize Marijuana
An attempt to persuade people to stop the initiative of legalizing marijuana for medicinal or any other purpose. Can’t say I agree with this ’article’ – but there it is.
- WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Tells Time: Hillary Cliton ‘Should Resign’
Julian Assange thinks Hilary Cliton should resign due to her knowledge and association in US diplomats engaging in “espionage” overseas. I thought the print has good statements backing the possibility of espionage and the evidence of conversations are reported on wikileaks website and were being reviewed by all news media and government entities.