Framing: Why networks matter; open versus closed communities
- Overview/Lecture/Discussion: Colin Lingle
- Class Lab/Assignment
Possible Discussion Questions – Kathy
- How would you feel if all social networks open their walls and connected with other networks?
- What do you think the next great social networking tool will look like?
- How long will you hold on to your Facebook account and what are your reasons for this decision?
- What are the benefits of having more of the contemporary journalists such as bloggers and twitterers rather than the the more traditional journalists?
- After reading Clay Shirky’s Here Comes Everybody and his discussion of email “publishing,” how do you think your email habits will change?
- Given the growth of Facebook to all corners of the world, as seen in the O’Reilly Radar article, how reliable is Facebook as a news source? Why should (or shouldn’t) it be utilized for news stories?
Possible Discussion Questions – students
- Jessi: What will the “calligraphy” of the media be, as the old institutions fade?
- JoshL: What sorts of advertisements would get you to click on a link in FB and why? If you follow products, brands, celebrities, etc. on Facebook, what sorts of things do you follow and why? If you don’t, why not?
- Kathleen: How might web based programs allow for improved access and ease of functionality within the work environment?
- Mia: What are your thoughts on computer-mediated-communication? and How has text-based communication improved our personal relationships?
- Sean: Looking at how fast technology is advancing, how will video conferencing affect business travel and face-to-face meetings?
- Facebook page: Cooks Source Magazine.
Editor allegedly plagiarized and thinks the web is “public domain” – may be more appropriate example for next week. Background-01 (where I learned of it) and Background-02 (Slashdot).
- Facebook fans predict election winners
- Using keywords from your project subject, search the following sites and then write a post comparing the results. How are the networks similar and different?
- Facebook – search syntax in Google or Bing: <keywords site:facebook.com>
- Delicious search – put your keywords in the search box
- Twitter (Advanced Search link) – recommended search: put your keywords in “Any of these words” text box
For Next Week
- Will introduce the persuasive post – analytical + call to action
- Remember: no class next Thursday
- Reminder: discussion questions should be open-ended! Most were not this week; I re-wrote them.